Thursday, November 10, 2005

FILM STILLS PROJECT

While my film stills don't necessarily look like they could be taken out of a movie, they are, in fact, representative of a particular film. The film is one of my own. Not too long ago, I filmed a short experimental piece, "Untitled", which displayed the pressure of a teenage girl being forced by society to look "beautiful" and succombing to these pressures by applying make-up, representing her demise through the consumption of a slushie. As odd as it sounds, it came out relatively decent. I worked mainly with the color red: the slushie, the "girl's" skin tone, and the color of the make-up she was applying. As the character applied make-up, the slushie progressively was consumed. By the end, the character's face was "all done up" and the slushie was empty. Symbolism and meaning are completely up to interpretation.

As the character applied the make-up, I focused in on each of her main features: eyes, cheeks, and lips. For this project, I decided to focus of just the lips and the application of lip gloss. These photos may appear redundant, which exactly exemplifies my point. The process of applying make-up, day after day, becomes incredibly repetitive, to myself, if only. While the end product is cleaner, both in physicality of the character, and the picture quality itself, it is representative that the end product, while appearing better, is a very frustrating process, as seen in the other pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home